Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dinner Experiments


I have been away from home the past months. I live in a house where I am not allowed to cook meals. Why? They fear I might burn down the house. My freedom of cooking only happens when I am in our real home. The refrigerator's contents do not escape my cooking experiments.

Yes, I am not good at cooking. And yes, I mentioned "experiments". But don't worry, everything's edible. With the aid of my mom's recipes and a few I found from the internet, I was able to produce (believe me if I say), sumptuous dinner.

Dinner 1: Teriyaki rice, marinated pork, buttered vegetables, fried onion rings and cream sauce.

Actually, I cooked it for my dad for dinner after coming home from Manila. I was trying to make him avoid eating more than a cup of rice since he was a diabetic. So I made sure I already measured a cup of the teriyaki rice. I marinated the pork with soy sauce, ketchup and a few spoons of teriyaki sauce. I added buttered vegetables and onion rings as side dishes.

And my dad's reaction? Of course he wanted to ask for more rice. He couldn't resist. Why not? It's the staple food of Filipinos.

Dinner 2: Chicken Yadah and Cheesy Onion Soup

Why did I call it Chicken Yadah? Obviously it's a chicken, and yadah? Well, I just don't know how it's really called and since I just used random ingredients in cooking it, I ended up using that word to describe it.

I deep-fried breaded chicken fillet; sauted garlic, onions, bell peppers and carrots and the fried chicken fillet; added oyster and teriyaki sauce and that's it. It has a sweetened taste just enough for my diabetic dad.

The Cheesy Onion Soup's name tells it all. I sauted large white onions, maybe one or two of it in a large soup pan. Then I dissolved the cream soup base powder in hot water and poured it in. Waited for it to simmer and bring to a boil and then grated cheese. But I think it would have tasted better with Parmesan or any melted cheesy.

Eat and run! Happy tummy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment